Eight Nova Scotia companies have been awarded contracts for the Dartmouth General Hospital expansion and renovation.
Government issued the contracts today, April 28, as part of the QEII redevelopment project.
The Nova Scotia companies are:
- Lloyd MacLellan Construction Services Ltd., Harrietsfield, Halifax Regional Municipality
- Omega Formwork Inc., Mount Uniacke
- Bedford Ready Mix Limited, Lower Sackville
- Techno Hard Surfaces Ltd., Bedford
- Allstar Rebar Nova Scotia Limited, Lower Sackville
- CKG Elevator Ltd., Burnside
- Tartan Mechanical Ltd., Brookside, Halifax Regional Municipality
- Atlantica Mechanical Contractors Inc., Burnside.
The contracts will provide for site services, excavation, underground services, foundations and structural concrete for the new addition and a new emergency generator building. It also includes renovation of the loading dock area, elevators for the new addition and relocation of the bulk oxygen storage tanks.
The total cost of these tenders is about $12 million. Construction will begin in early May.
This is the first of three construction service tenders for the Dartmouth General Hospital. The second tender package is expected to be issued in late spring.
The expansion and renovations at the Dartmouth General will result in space for 48 beds on the fifth floor plus eight new operating rooms to replace four existing suites. It also includes extensive upgrades to outpatient and diagnostic imaging areas.
This is in addition to renovation work already underway on the third and fourth floors in-patient wings. Construction crews recently completed work on wing 3 West, scheduled to open next week, and will add an additional eight beds.